Friday, March 23, 2007

Some Books: 35 + 1 = ?

I have been procrastinating on completing this tag (from Jessica @ 9to5Poet), partly because it kind of felt like homework, but, mostly, because how on earth can I pick 35 books to represent myself?! Every book I have ever read -- good, bad, or indifferent -- is rattling around in my being...

I don't even know what this list is, except, perhaps, a stream-of-consciousness sample of some books that have stayed with me. I can only say these are the books that came to mind, in the order they came there, and I stopped at 36 -- that's how old I am this year. This is torture.

  1. Roots - Haley
  2. The Little Prince - St. Exupery
  3. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler - Konigsburg
  4. Where the Sidewalk Ends - Silverstein
  5. Danny, Champion of the World - Dahl
  6. Maus - Spiegelman
  7. Understanding Comics - McCloud
  8. The House on Mango Street - Cisneros
  9. The Language Instinct - Pinker
  10. Crime and Punishment - Dostoevsky
  11. Jane Eyre - Bronte
  12. The Sound and the Fury - Faulkner
  13. Bird by Bird - Lamott
  14. Their Eyes Were Watching God - Hurston
  15. A Whole New Mind - Pink
  16. The Tipping Point - Gladwell
  17. The Poisonwood Bible - Kingsolver
  18. The Lovely Bones - Sebold
  19. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - Angelou
  20. A Wizard of Earthsea - Leguin
  21. Weetzie Bat - Block
  22. How to Eat Like a Child - Ephron
  23. The Hobbit - Tolkien
  24. The Chronicles of Narnia (Set) - Lewis
  25. Pippi Longstocking (Set) - Lindgren
  26. The Color Purple - Walker
  27. Reflections on the Gift of a Watermelon Pickle - Dunning, et al
  28. A Day No Pigs Would Die - Peck
  29. Heart to Heart: New Poems Inspired by Twentieth-Century American Art - ed. Greenberg
  30. Preposterous - ed. Janeczko
  31. The Cider House Rules - Irving
  32. The Transitive Vampire - Gordon
  33. Interview with the Vampire - Rice
  34. Orbiting the Giant Hairball - MacKenzie
  35. The Dot - Reynolds
  36. God Went to Beauty School - Rylant
Image by gadjoboy

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Sorry for the homework, but I figured you'd be a good person to ask.

I love your selections, especially Little Prince (thought about putting it on my mine) and Weetzie Bat. I named my cat Weetzie Bat, btw. :) Also love the Cisneros, Alice Walker, Hurston... good books! Thanks for playing.