Saturday, January 13, 2007

Bird Two: So Much Depends

zinniaTo me, William Carlos Williams' spare, single-sentence poem The Red Wheelbarrow has a wonderful concreteness and simplicity that perfectly conveys the beauty and significance of utility, the dignity of the ordinary. It also represents a stellar example of the kind of "word-picture" writing teachers try to tell us that poetry should be. Upon reading it, you conjure a vivid, immediate, immutable image. A contemporary poet who similarly celebrates everyday things with an amazingly apt concision (though not as spare as Williams' wheelbarrow) is Valerie Worth. I love her collections of Small Poems, even though they are for children (or maybe because they are for children). I love sharing them with children, too. My favorite is Zinnias -- which celebrates the flowers' resolute strength, concluding "I know/ Someone like zinnias; I wish/ I were like zinnias." I do wish I were like zinnias -- at least sometimes.

Williams and his wheelbarrow also remind me of the final lines in another favorite poem, Naomi Shihab Nye's Famous:

I want to be famous in the way a pulley is famous,
or a buttonhole, not because it did anything spectacular,
but because it never forgot what it could do.
So, here's Bird Two... a single-sentence homage to an ordinary thing....

Church Key

Whether christened
in nod to brewer-monks
shuffling down into
the lager cellar,

named for heavy-headed likeness
to noble hunks of iron
fitted into pious locks
within towering oaken doors,

or labeled as irreverent wink towards
a different sort of worship...
I rejoice in its releasing
of my beer.

(I love, love church key -- the concept, the phrase and the object. The connotation and denotation make such a lovely, resonant clash.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how right you are! A resonant clash! I did not know what that was called. Your last lines feel a lot like wcw. And of course, as soon as I read "significance of utility ... dignity of the ordinary" my first thought was "Famous." This is like reading someone who grew up with me and then kept on chasing the same thread until she found a whole new world. Bravo!