Friday, January 19, 2007

Bird Three: Other People's Photos

I have been trawling the Flickr site recently and noticed, being the word-obsessive that I am, that a lot of pictures, though tagged, are left title/captionless... It got me thinking about how the title of an artwork can really influence how you interpret it, and also how the juxtaposition of words and images affects meaning.

A good reader/viewer always engages actively with a text, film, painting... participating in the making of meaning. Thus, it's insulting when a director, painter or storyteller gives the reader too much -- if you've no work to do, no effort of understanding to put forth, then there's no motivation to connect, no payoff... but if you are given too little, and can't find a way "in," a way to connect, that's no good either -- the artist has to seek the balance between... Scott McLeod beautifully explains this idea I am butchering in Understanding Comics (A book everyone with any imagination should read).

I have fairly well-developed reading/viewing muscles, as well as a tendency to imbue images, people, and objects with backstory. Such projection is a fundamental human trait. Brain researchers (I can't remember where I heard this -- I think maybe on an episode of NOVA) believe that the capacity for empathy is one of the most powerful human evolutionary traits. Maybe other people don't tend to extend it beyond humans and animals as much as I...

Anyway, back to Flickr, I stumbled on this picture, randomly, and was tickled by the caption. It made me like the photographer. It's sort of weird that the social web allows us to become routine, often invited, voyeurs into other people's lives, thoughts, creations. I know, and believe in the incredible potential of the real connections, extensions, creative leaps and communities that are made in this shared digital landscape, but I also believe that the sheer mathematics of it all means that we consume (view, read, listen, watch) way more than we (most of us, anyway) ever actively respond to.

Which leads me to my third bird... in which I poem-caption a few of Other People's Photos...

I began with a full-text search for "IMG" plus "kids" and then "IMG" plus "people." I have also gotten permission from each of the photographers to use their photos for this exercise (Thank you!).



Cyrus was a nomad in his bones;
Our need to hold him could not
hold him still. We used to joke

that he was born wearing wheels --
called him our "hummingbird boy," (or,
"Sharkbaby," during ornery times);

We gave him what we could
for the journey; set him loose
because there was no other way.

Photo by Volkswitt






At five, you never named your aches, but felt.
Now silent, now with wailing, flailing,
wrenching, spouting forth, unconscious swell –

a spell too vast to be contained – you rained,
would not be reined, remained submerged
where loss collected, rant and tantrum intersected,

made a mess, lived your distress with five's
great knowing, wove your being through its core
and wore it threadbare, felt it more.

At five, you breathed it fresh – oh, surely,
purely, how you held on tight and wept,
then, dreamless, slept.



I am never myself. I have a hundred selves.
When you see me, notice the aching curve of
eyelid, nostril, lip and chin,
jawline and neckline, slipaway braid.
Linger at my shoulder and apprehend this:
I curve toward a self I have yet to invent.

Photo by Ex.Libris



These tragic feet, these
sugared doughnuts, these
tender filthy piggies, these
criss-crossed cuddlers, these
mute messengers, these
expectant soles, these
compass needles, these
leathered prayers, these
hopeful feet.





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are BRILLIANT. You are so, so, so incredible. Really and truly.

Unknown said...

Great poems. Using the pictures was a wonderful inspiration. I'm glad you got permission--too many people don't.

Regina said...

These were all just wonderful and the accompanying pictures really sealed the deal. I felt as if I knew these people by your poems about them... incredible. The third poem really resonated with me.

desert rat said...

Wow, really cool poem-captions. I loved the second one, I could taste the words in my mouth, hear them out loud.

wendy said...

Tender filthy piggies...priceless
Leathered prayers...so original.

I must also say I love the word fledgling.

Welcome to poetry thursday,
very nice to meet you.

Anonymous said...

"At five" is my favorite. I can also taste the words. They slip around, shape-shifting, and meaning appears like out of a magician's smoke. Also love "these tragic feet." You're awesome!

ivoryfishbone said...

hi there slb ... your thoughtful comment on my TP toaster poem brought me here ... i am enjoying peering around but just wanted to say - i like the cyrus poem best so far ... it is whole and understated and packs an emotional punch for me ...
will read more
xxx