Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Birds Four, Five, Six: Other People's Photos (Redux)

My initial Flickr experiment proved so worthwhile that I can't think of anything I'd rather do than explore more of the same. I have been mired in inertia for a week now, trying to come up with a shiny new bird, but the last one simply will not be denied a few feathered companions. And I do make the rules.

I am once again grateful for the amazing and generous photographers out there (each of whom has given me permission to use his or her photo)...

A man’s consciousness (generally) will
rest upon the scarcity of skirt, estimate
the taut geometry of thigh emerging and
receding with each swaying stride.

A woman may be most inclined to weigh
the ass against her own – a pair of clefted
cantaloupes see-sawing in imagined palms.
And love, perhaps, (or hate) the bag (or shoes).

A child will wonder mainly at the diamonds:
burn to press his flesh against the rust-cool,
gritty grid; to sear a moment’s memory;
to wear (to write) the pattern as it walks away.







Ramona had once imagined that
years of marriage, the persistent, gentle
sculpturing of everyday contact – hell,
some sort of amygdalar survival trigger –
would re-shape Richard’s extraordinary
talent for picking the wrong time
to do just about everything. Ha!




Photo by Fonsico





Photo by Kandykorn


Stella knows this:
A shopping cart conveys a world.
A corner market is a star.

Commence with the obvious cargo:
bananas and oatmeal, Maalox and milk,
waxed paper, pudding, and peas.

But wheels matter most, wheels threading
each day’s track, handle humming with
the dissonant clack of sidewalk seams –

a satellite signal reminding Stella’s body
to move, maintain its orbit, seek bananas
in a universe grown small.




She wore away one whisper
at a time receding until

skin unwrapped and sinew
unlaced and bones unknit

and everything everything
gaped until unknowing

enveloped a single sleeping seed
whorled into a pomegranate planet.



Photo by DigiMom13


You are eight and your playground
physics are these: cementing the fate of
your palms and knees, you center

your hips – a body at rest, push yourself
off with solid-heeled thrust, build into a
fury of pump-and-lean, kick at the sky

in the blurred between, fueling
the pendulum forward-and-back, expanding
your arc until the chains go slack and

your body flings free from its
everyday scheme – opens wide
to give wing to the flying dream.






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

just one poem shows up, but looking at those great pictures, I can't wait to see what you've done. The one that shows up is very visceral, a poem that I feel more than 'get'. I'll be back!

Min said...

I'm a friend of Robin's. Beautiful poem. Sooo true to life. I have a little guy and girl who love the swing. And even more so, brings back memories of so many hours I spent jumping off swings in state parks in the summer, local parks across the street from my house. A heart warming thought of a few seconds of my childhood. Thanks....
Min

Anonymous said...

i am so proud - bilyb

Anonymous said...

I love what you did with the fishnet shot. All I could think was the personality of this woman, but you went in a totally fresh direction. kudos

Anonymous said...

your fans are out here, waiting . . .

Anonymous said...

Hey! I love Stella!

Mary J. said...

I love all your work - how the photographs inspire the poem but also how they are joined together. Your work could definitely stand alone, too, the poems are so good.

I'm glad I stopped by!