Saturday, February 24, 2007

Bird Eight: Look at Me

I first stumbled on Look at Me about three years ago (I think). I was discovering the joys of "found" art/objects at the time, and I found a photograph at the public library -- I planned to send it in, but I wasn't sure if it was old enough (I will send it now). I love the rules: the photos must be candid shots of at least one (unknown) person looking at the camera, from at least 25 years ago. (So, in one sense, Look at Me is the opposite of Running from Camera -- dontcha love it?) Frederic Bonn, owner/originator of the site, describes the collection:

"These photos were either lost, forgotten, or thrown away. The images now are nameless, without connection to the people they show, or the photographer who took them. Maybe someone died and a relative threw away their photographs; maybe someone thought they were trash..." (MORE)
These photos are ordinary, comfortingly familiar, surprising and heartbreaking all at once. Expect several birds. (Thanks very much to Fred Bonn for permission to "borrow" from his wonderful collection).
Hansel Poses by the Oven, 1919

After weeks of plying the wretch
with sausages and sticky buns,
meat pies, potatoes and puddings,

of daily squeezing the brat’s spindled
finger to gauge its certain plumpness –
the nearsighted hag grew suspicious.

She groped between the bars with
a gnarled claw, cooed as she was able,
as to an errant pet, finally seizing

upon a frayed woolen stocking,
a chubby ankle, dragging it to her
across the burred floor of the dirty cage.

Suppertime, she sighed, as she
caressed the dumpling flesh between
her callused paws. The oven would be lit.

The girl was called to clean his face, to mend
and tuck his shirttail, to take his tender
photograph: portrait of a memorable meal.

10 comments:

Jessica said...

This is really lovely and haunting at the same time. I love the ending of the girl forced to clean the brother's face and take his picture. A very appropriately frightening take on the picture and the fairy tale.

Btw, I really like your idea for your site -- we can all use more inspiration and practice, I think.

Anonymous said...

Very nice, I like the images. Your list of food leaves me bloated.
I can't help but hear a reference to holocaust--the oven, but then again when the girl is forced to help.
When I read wretch, I thought wretch was the witch (probably my brain slipped wench in there or something) and I thought you were going for a reversal of the story. I was a little disapointed at the end when poor Hansel hasn't yet turned the tables. But I guess we all know how the story ends. But still, I think something disapoints at the end of this poem. The punch is missing. The strongest and most poignant image is probably "seizing
upon a frayed woolen stocking,
a chubby ankle, dragging it to her
across the burred floor of the dirty cage."
Well, and also the "girl called to clean his face"
so, what am I saying here? Maybe the ending falls away from the narrative of the poem. It just occured to me-- if she is so blind that she can't take the picture, what does she want with the photo? Let alone the psychological implications of taking a picture of someone before you eat them (which could be a whole other poem!). Oh, there's that holocaust theme again, the cold documentation.
And yes, I see your skill at turning a phrase "cooed as she was able,/ as to an errant pet" seems the only way, the inevitable way to say that.
I also love the sound of "caressed. . . flesh . . . calloused." And the "dumpling" and "tender" keep us focused on what is coming.
Why was she suspicious? or what did she suspect? I'm not sure I need to know, but at any rate, I didn't.
There's an incredible richness of language and image and perfectly worded description in this poem. And you've also got the novelty of a new take on an old favorite everyone will recognize.
great work.

angie said...

What you're doing on your blog is very interesting, I've enjoyed looking around. I'm looking forward to reading Lamott's book, myself (finally).

I love your confident, evocative writing! What a great take on this photo - we can only laugh because we know it's a tale - but that little face doesn't, does he? So many layers. Well done.

Emily said...

Wow! I really liked this. I love what you took from this photo. It made me think of two things: one the magazine Found (I think that's what it's called) which is all about found objects and the book Something Permanent by Cynthia Rylant. It's a poetry book written for kids using dust bowl era photographs. Rylant too imagines the lives of people in pictures. Love this idea.

gautami tripathy said...

Great writing.

I felt extremely sad reading this post.

gautami
Parallel Streams

Anonymous said...

Wow--funny and disturbing at once. The language is delectable.

Mary J. said...

Oh, my! I really like this. The language is spot on for the subject and chocked full (pun intended) of wonderful language. Immensely good poem.

Thanks for the weblink too. I'm going to check it out. One can never have too much inspiration, especially for poetry.

Anonymous said...

Nice poem. It's very well crafted, I love the sounds, the rhythm - especially the take on the ols story. TERRIFIC picture to post along with it. Just hilarious. Sets you up to read the poem very nicely.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love how this poem fits the photo so well. Interesting take on the old folk tale and like Robin, I can't help reading some holocaust references in there too.

jillypoet said...

I love the idea of "revisionary mythmaking." This poem is so well done. The images are great. Each word is powerful and evocative. Well done!